Friday, September 15, 2006

The first day of pre-school by Hannah Gerber


I don't think I've ever been as happy as I am today, right now.

A few hours ago I was kind of

psychotically ecstatic, thats worn off, thank goodness

but this is a really spectacular day

and I'm so grateful for everyone involved in it.

The decent hearted drivers,

the teacher's with their welcoming grins,

the gal at the thrift store register,

whoever made this cranberry juice.

The smell of the brisket cooking,

whoever invented the crock-pot,

the chilled wine waiting,

the people who created Sesame Street,

and of course you, for giving me this day

and all my days, my mother.

It's my mom whom I thank

with every breath today

for helping me see

the beauty in absolutely everything,

for even though she thinks

she doesn't even like poetry,

what she doesn't seem to know

is that she is poetry

and that makes her even prettier

and my day even more perfect

as it draws to its rather satisfying end.